Monday, February 3, 2014

No pizza delivery?!?! (Part 1)

When standing in a line, whether at the grocery store or Target, I often observe people. How they react to the wait speaks volumes. Many people show impatience, sighing loudly or snapping at their children. Some people just calmly stand and enjoy the downtime, smiling politely and nodding when they catch my eye.  Others turn and leave, not wanting to bother with the headache.
 
Then I wonder how others view me? Who am I, to a perfect stranger? This question prompted me to look at myself a little closer. I strongly feel my thirties have not been my finest decade, so I wanted to share a few of my experiences and see if this is common with others. If not, it’s ok to fib for my benefit. J

My personality is not unique, although a beginner’s manual on how to utilize my traits would have helped. Like everyone though, I learned through trial and error. (Emphasis on error.)  As a young girl I was shy, polite and always tried to please people. On the flip side, I hated to admit guilt, expected instant gratification, and lacked patience. Was this all due to me being an only child? Or was it my Type-A genetic makeup?   

While in my 20’s I focused on the kids, my job, and my family. I always charged full steam ahead. I did what was expected of me and basked in the praise of doing well. We planned and had our last two children before I turned thirty. We bought my childhood home and we lived happily.  Raising our children there was comfortable.  I loved that my best friend and her family lived across the street. Neighbors I had known for years surrounded us. Sounds picturesque, right?

Unfortunately, our children’s needs outweighed the perks.  We were not happy with the school district and new developments in the area. This started the ball rolling and triggered our plan to move. Craig was practical and patient. (My polar opposite.) We discussed where we wanted to live and he created a 5 year plan. I was on board, but patience is not in my gene pool either. So, his 5 year plan surprisingly became our 1 year plan.  I was caught up in the excitement and loved the idea of change to better my kid’s future. Unfortunately, I failed to recognize and admit the obvious. My comfort zone was going to disappear.

A month after our move, a very small detail pushed me to admit I was teetering on the edge. I was sitting in my car, at the only gas station within a 10 mile radius.  I was not filling gas or buying a winning lottery ticket, like normal people.  I was waiting for pizza to be delivered. To a city girl, the lack of pizza delivery service is a detail that should have been disclosed when we bought our land. (And yes, over reacting when stressed is another trait I will admit to ….)

In all seriousness though, I was a bit freaked out that something so trivial (as pizza delivery) had me questioning my life.

Part 2……coming soon.

 

3 comments:

  1. When you are away from the hustle and bustle of city life, you believe that solitude has it rewards. However, the tranquility of silence begins to show it's ugly head....It gives you more time to think... The small things, the mundane things and the things that are not...that once were mitigated by noise and commotion, now come entering into our minds. Thus, the trivial act of pizza delivery becomes a big deal!
    Looking forward to part 2...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer did you say PIZZA. Yum. :) Can't wait till Part 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my lord… I feel you! I once found myself living in the middle of Nowhere, New Mexico and had the exact same moment: WAIT. PIZZA CAN'T FIND ME. Of course, in that particular place, the closest gas station was also the closest pizza place. And bar. And pool hall. And art gallery. LOL.

    Looking forward to part two. :)

    ReplyDelete